Injured Wildlife

What should I do if I find a sick or injured animal, or a young animal that has been abandoned?

It is against the law in Maine to handle or care for wild animals (including birds) unless you have specific state and federal permits.

Remember that a young animal found away from its parents may not have been abandoned. Before assuming the worst, observe the animal for some time from a distance to see if a parent returns to care for it.

While Chewonki has an experienced history in Wildlife Rehabilitation, we no longer accept injured wild animals. We are now home to the animals that are deemed non-releasable. If you find a wild animal that you believe is sick or injured, or a young animal that has been abandoned, please consult a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. Here is a list of some that we have worked closely with:

Wildlife Rehabilitators


  • Avian Haven, 207-382-6761, Palermo  


  • Saco River Wildlife Center, 207-702-1405, Limington

Mammals and Reptiles:

  • Jen Des Marchigiani- Misfit Rehab, 207-212-1039, Auburn (takes all mammals) 

All animals:

  • Center for Wildlife, 207-361-1400, Cape Neddick (takes bats, but not other rabies vectors)
  • Acadia Wildlife, 207- 288-4960, Bar Harbor (takes all mammals)

You can find more at the link here: Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife

If you are unable to reach a wildlife rehabilitator, try calling a veterinarian, game warden, local animal-control officer, animal shelter, or the state police for assistance.

If the animal is already in your care, place it in a well-ventilated box away from pets and children until you can get in touch with a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. Please do not offer the animal any food or water. We appreciate your care for wildlife but remember it is against the law to care for a wild animal without the proper permits.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this website.