We are only a few weeks away from welcoming students back to Chewonki, and I wanted to take a moment and share a few highlights from what has been an incredible summer of struggle, challenge, and inspiration as our community has risen to the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Can you help support Chewonki today with a donation?
After ceasing all in-person programming in March, we decided to pivot: instead of lamenting what we lost, we asked ourselves “what can we give?”
The results are inspiring:
- Maine Coast Semester was able to resume classes in a brand-new remote format (We miss️ you, Semester 64!)
- Chewonki Elementary & Middle School created place-based learning modules to share with parents @home
- Camp Chewonki@Home launched a 7-week, no-cost interactive summer camp program with daily activities and videos
- Our Farm & Food team joined local hunger relief efforts, providing thousands of meals
- Our Science Educators created daily livestream videos featuring animals, plants, stars, and more!
- And right now, our facilities team is working day and night to renovate our health center from the ground up
And in the middle of all this creative resilience, we heard countless stories from Chewonki alumni and friends like you, folks who are going above and beyond and finding ways to help our communities through this difficult time. Thank you!
I don’t think I’ll surprise you by sharing another story: this has been the most challenging financial year in the history of our organization.
There is no easy or short-term solution for the operating deficits we face because of Covid-19. If you’re passionate about the power of nature-based education and the strength, resiliency, and grit it helps provide children, please consider making a gift today of $50, $100, $500, or another amount that meets your budget and needs at this time.
Thank you for letting me share these stories. I have never been so proud of the Chewonki spirit as I am today.
Director of Development