WE HAVE OPPORTUNITIES FOR TALENTED INDIVIDUALS WITH EXPERIENCE LEADING CANOEING, BACKPACKING, SEA KAYAKING, AND WHITEWATER KAYAKING TRIPS
The Trip Leader is integral to programming at Chewonki. Trip leading is a demanding position with multiple days out in the field with 24hour supervision of participants. The Trip Leader lives within the Chewonki community, works with a co-leader or cabin counselor, and is responsible for out of camp programming with participants. Trip Leaders are expected to take initiative and be part of the greater community, to support the Chewonki Mission of promoting personal growth, natural history, and community development.
Chewonki Wilderness Programs are managed from our 400-acre campus in Wiscasset, ME. This program facilitates over 60 separate wilderness programs within the 10-week summer season. The tripping program consists of cabin wilderness trips for our Chewonki Camp for Boys, Adventures for Girls, and co-ed extended wilderness trips for teenagers ages 13-18.
- Co-lead wilderness trips
- Responsible for safety and welfare of participants
- Plan, Prep, Pack for each wilderness trip
- Check all equipment and make sure it is appropriate for age and location
- Provide direct supervision of participants as assigned
- Maintain mission
- Risk management within program
- When in camp responsible for preparing campers for upcoming trips
- Professional communication with parents
- Become familiar with and abide by protocols as set forth by Chewonki
- Become familiar with and abide by wilderness trip protocols as stated in Staff Manual
- Fill out all necessary paperwork, i.e. incident reports, participant evaluations, trip reports, co-leader evaluations.
- Develop positive learning environment.
- Effectively teach hard skills and group dynamics.
- Contribute to Community
- Teach trip activities while in camp
- Support all functions of the Wilderness Trip Program
- Help with essential functions of Wilderness Programs (resupplies, evacs, general support)
- Current Wilderness First Responder Certification (preferred certifying bodies are Wilderness Medical Associates and Wilderness Medical Institute)
- Current Lifeguard Certification
- At Least 21 years old
- Valid Driver’s License approved by Chewonki’s Insurance Carrier
- Must Pass Background Criminal Check
- Maine State Trip Leader Permit
- Attend Staff Training per Employment Agreement
- Attend necessary Driver Training