The Summer Farm Worker position offers an opportunity for alumni of Chewonki programs to assist in all aspects of care for livestock, help with tasks necessary for the production of crops, and maintenance and care of pasture and harvesting of hay.
Summer Farm Workers:
- Help with tasks necessary for the production of crops and care of livestock
- Help with maintenance and care of pasture and harvesting of hay
- During the camp season, work with camp participants in multiple settings, including:
- Integrating campers into various work projects on the farm
- Leading or assisting with evening farm-based activities up to two evenings per week
All Chewonki farm crew:
- Thoughtfully prioritize
- Recognize and celebrate the farm’s historical context
- Have the flexibility to grow and adapt systems based in that context
- Are facilitators of Chewonki’s food system
- Make mission-driven decisions
- Use our strengths to support Chewonki’s programs, the farm, and all staff
- Share the workload and responsibilities fairly
- Balance production and education within the farm context
Required Skills/Experience/Abilities of the Summer Farm Workers:
- Must be a Chewonki program alumni
- Interest in education-based, diversified farming
- Ability to work long hours in a physically demanding setting
- Good communication skills
- Willingness to live and work in a small community
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
Summer farm workers will be compensated with $125 per week plus room and board for the duration of the agreement. Housing will be on campus; shower and bathroom facilities, electricity and internet service will be available. Meals are served in the Chewonki dining hall, prepared by dedicated staff and often with our own farm’s ingredients. Living on campus at Chewonki provides a unique opportunity to engage with staff members who work for different programs within the Foundation. Summer farm workers will not be entitled to receive salary, health benefits or other compensation. Workers Compensation Insurance will cover the workers for the duration of the agreement.
To Apply by February 24, 2019
- Please complete an online application, being sure to select “summer farm worker”. Returning staff, please log into your CampInTouch account to complete an application.
- Please fill out the below information (name etc) and upload a brief cover letter.
- This letter should:
- Describe your interest in becoming a Chewonki Summer Farm Worker. Please include any pertinent past experience, and note at least three skills you would like to gain from this experience and what you hope to add to our summer farm crew.
- Clearly state your availability and interest in working one or both of the following time blocks:
- June 3 – June 23 (three weeks)
- June 24 – August 25 (nine weeks)
- This letter should:
|Job Category||Summer Farm, Seasonal Positions|