Summer Equipment & Logistics Assistants are seasonal positions available during Chewonki’s summer season. Summer Equipment & Logistics Assistants (SELAs) work as members of a team to support participants and staff in Chewonki’s summer programs. SELAs work with staff and participants through the preparation of food and equipment, transportation to and from the field, facilitating resupplies, and post-trip cleanup. SELAs may also be assigned to other tasks as needed to support all of Chewonki’s summer programs.
Responsibilities are always varied and exciting for SELAs. A day at work can consist of anything from driving a trip into the North Maine Woods to repairing broken tents and canoes or working alongside other staff and participants as they learn how to prepare for a trip.
Trip Preparation and Cleanup
- Monitor and restock food and equipment inventories while maintaining safe food handling standards
- Assist and instruct trip leading staff as they prepare for their trips
- Prepare food and equipment for cabin overnights
- Pack and organize food and equipment resupplies
- Perform routine equipment maintenance and repair
- Assist and instruct trip leading staff and participants during post-trip cleanup
- Safely operate 15 passenger vans often towing canoe trailers, in a variety of conditions ranging from interstate highways to dirt roads
- Periodically serve as the “on-call” staff member, ready to respond to any needs that may arise
- Participate in the Chewonki community norms and responsibilities
- Current certification in a minimum of CPR & Basic First Aid
- At least 21 years old to drive participants as required by Chewonki’s insurance carrier
- Pass Background Criminal Checks
- Experience with safe food handling and/or ServSafe training
- Experience with backpacking, canoeing, sea kayaking, or whitewater kayaking is very valuable
- Flexible and able to switch tasks easily
- Able to work independently
This is an hourly, non-exempt, seasonal position, compensation based on experience.
|Job Category||Seasonal Positions|