The substitute teaching assistant position for Chewonki Elementary Middle School is on an as-needed basis during the school year. The substitute works directly with the teacher to help facilitate integrated, place-based lessons in all core subject areas, as well as experiential outdoor activities. The assistant will uphold the standards and classroom protocols set in place by the teacher, and defer to the teacher for direction in regards to teaching methods and student redirection.Position Title: Substitute Teaching Assistant
Employment Category: Category G
Reports to: Head of School
Schedule (hours and weeks): As needed
Benefits Eligible: No
- Assist with daily academic lessons as directed by the teacher, which involves working with small groups and individuals.
- Lead Before and After-Care activities.
- Assist with group experiences outdoors.
- Assist with outdoor day trips.
- Independently supervise the class in specific situations, e.g.. teacher’s break time
- Assist with daily classroom and cleaning tasks to make things run smoothly.
- Become familiar with and abide by protocols as set forth by Chewonki.
- Practice and enforce all Chewonki safety and risk management policies.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism.
- Provide for the emotional and physical well being of students at all times.
- Prior experience working with elementary aged children in a formal or informal educational setting
- Highly motivated and willing to learn new skills
- Understanding of positive discipline, ability to manage a group of students
- Willingness to be flexible, adapt, and problem solve
- Personal outdoor experience and time in the field with children
- Must pass background check including fingerprinting as required by the Maine Department of Education
Salary and Benefits
Substitutes are paid $85 per diem and are not eligible for benefits.
To Apply –
Please complete the following information and submit:
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the position
|Job Category||Elementary Middle School, Faculty/Educator Positions|