The substitute teacher position for Chewonki Elementary and Middle School is on an as-needed basis during the school year. The substitute works directly with one of our full time teachers to help facilitate integrated, place-based lessons in all core subject areas, as well as experiential outdoor activities. The substitute teacher will uphold the standards and classroom protocols set in place by our faculty, and defer to full-time teachers for direction in regards to teaching methods and student redirection.
Position Title: Substitute Teacher
Employment Category: Category G
Reports to: Head of Elementary and Middle School
Schedule (hours and weeks): As needed
- Assist with daily academic lessons as directed by the teacher, which involves working with small groups and individuals
- Work to honor and uphold the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and an anti-racist mind-set in the interest of students, staff and families across the Chewonki community
- Assist with after-school activities
- Assist with group experiences outdoors, which may include structured lessons and activities, and more rigorous physical activities such as hiking, canoeing, nordic skiing, and movement games with students.
- Assist with outdoor day trips
- Independently supervise the class in specific situations, e.g.. teacher’s break time
- Assist with daily classroom tasks to make things run smoothly
- Become familiar with and abide by protocols as set forth by Chewonki
- Practice and maintain all Chewonki safety and risk management policies
- Maintain a high level of professionalism
- Provide for the emotional and physical well being of students at all times
- Prior experience working with elementary and middle school aged children in a formal or informal educational setting
- Personal outdoor experience and outdoor teaching experience
- Highly motivated and willing to learn new skills
- Ability to manage a group of students, and understanding of how to redirect students and provide positive disciplinary techniques
- Willingness to be flexible, adapt, and problem solve
- Must pass background check including fingerprinting as required by the Maine Department of Education
Please complete the below information, upload your resume, and submit a cover letter indicating your interest in this substitute position.