Come cook with us! Our staff is dedicated to providing fresh, balanced meals year round. We source our food from Chewonki’s farm, local farmers and producers, as well as from a local large purveyor. Our goal is to reduce our reliance on heavily processed foods and to use our time wisely to create meals from fresh local foods to the extent that our resources will allow. Chewonki’s kitchen serves a wide variety of foods that both comfort and stimulate. We are well accustomed to meeting special dietary issues from food allergies and intolerances to personal preferences.
Cooks are responsible for working with and under the guidance of the Manager of Food Services to provide safe and smooth operation of the kitchen. This includes the preparation of wholesome and appealing meals from scratch while practicing proper food safety techniques in handling, organization and storage, and maintaining the overall cleanliness of the kitchen to a high standard while being mindful of the Chewonki Mission and Food Philosophy.
Position Title: Substitute Cook
Employment Category: Category
Reports to: Manager of Food Services
Schedule (hours and weeks): as needed
Benefits Eligible: No
Execution of meals
- Produce meals and snacks at scheduled times for programs, staff, and events
- Produce healthy, well-balanced, and appealing food from scratch
- Be willing and prepared to meet special food requirements for both participants and staff
- Maintain kitchen cleanliness throughout shift, properly store leftovers, and clean up after meals
- Execute in-depth cleaning projects
- Help keep inventory, wares, and equipment clean and organized
- Reduce waste, compost, and recycle according to Chewonki’s procedures
Food safety, sanitation and hygiene
- Comply with State of Maine standards for food service operations
- Work to honor and uphold the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and an anti-racist mind-set in the interest of students, staff and faculty across the organization.
- Provide instruction and guidance to Chewonki staff and participants
- Work within the team of kitchen staff and in support of students and colleagues
- Utilize and preserve farm products
- Assist in catered events
- Contribute as an active member of the Chewonki community, including participating in staff dish crews, and participate in the Food Action Committee when in session
- Other tasks as assigned
- Must be able to work an on-call schedule including weekends, early mornings and/or evenings
- Must be able to transport 55 pounds
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards of the site, facilities, and participant and staff behavior.
- Physical mobility and endurance to perform tasks while standing/walking for long periods of time, (60 minutes or more)
- Must be able to work in hot conditions
- Must be able to use knives and other kitchen equipment safely
- Commercial kitchen experience preferred
- Current ServSafe certification or the ability to become certified annually
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Compensation based on experience and within the hourly range of $15 – $18/hr.
TO APPLY – Review of applications will begin immediately
Please see our Farm & Food website for more information about the Chewonki Food Philosophy. Please complete the following information.