Seasonal Lead Cooks work with and under the guidance of the Kitchen Manager and year-round staff to provide safe and smooth operation of the kitchens at Chewonki’s Wiscasset, Maine campus. This includes the preparation of wholesome and appealing meals from scratch from a prepared menu while practicing proper food safety techniques in handling, organization, and storage, and maintaining the overall cleanliness of the kitchen to a high standard while being mindful of the Chewonki Mission and Food Philosophy.
Position Title: Seasonal Lead Cook Employment Category: Category H Permanent/Temporary: Seasonal Reports to: Kitchen Manager Exempt/Non-exempt: Non-exempt Schedule (hours and weeks): Full-time -Seasonal Benefits Eligible: No
Execution of meals
- Produce meals and snacks at scheduled times for programs, staff, and events
- Produce tasty, healthy, well-balanced, and visually appealing food
- Produce effective prep lists
- Supervise kitchen staff including seasonal cooks and support staff
- Maintain kitchen cleanliness throughout shift, properly store leftovers, and clean up after meals
- Execute in-depth cleaning projects
- Keep inventory, wares, and equipment clean and organized
- Reduce waste, compost, and recycle according to Chewonki’s procedures
Food safety, sanitation, and hygiene
- Comply with State of Maine and American Camp Association standards for foodservice operations
- Provide instruction, service, and guidance to Camp staff and participants as needed
- Assist in catering special events as needed
- Must be able to lift and carry 55 pounds
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards of the site and facilities and camper and staff behavior
- Physical mobility and endurance to perform tasks while standing/walking for long periods of time (60 minutes or more)
- Must be able to work in hot conditions
- Must be able to safely use kitchen equipment, including knives, slicers, food processors and mixers
- Three years of commercial kitchen experience, preferably in an institutional setting
- Knowledge of food allergies and special dietary requirements
- Current ServSafe certification
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule
- Must be able to work 40 hours per week including weekends, holidays, early mornings and/or evenings.
- Must be knowledgeable in all aspects of food preparation including from scratch cooking
- Hold current ServSafe certification or be able to become certified.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner with staff and participants.
- A willingness to be part of the Chewonki community.
Salary and Other Details
Compensation based on experience. Position does not include housing.
|Job Category||Seasonal Positions|