Summer Cooks work with and under the guidance of the Kitchen Manager, year-round kitchen staff and seasonal lead cooks to provide safe and smooth operation of the kitchens at Chewonki’s Wiscasset, Maine campus. This includes the preparation of wholesome and appealing meals from scratch while practicing proper food safety techniques in handling, organization, and storage, and maintaining the overall cleanliness of the kitchen to a high standard while being mindful of the Chewonki Mission and Food Philosophy.
Position Title: Seasonal Cook Employment Category: Category H Exempt/Non-exempt: Non-exempt Schedule (hours and weeks): Full-time -Seasonal (mid-June through mid-August) Benefits Eligible: No
Execution of meals
- Produce meals and snacks at scheduled times for programs, staff, and events
- Produce tasty, healthy, well-balanced, and visually appealing food
- Maintain kitchen cleanliness throughout shift, properly store leftovers, and clean up after meals
- Execute in-depth cleaning projects
- Help keep inventory, wares, and equipment clean and organized
- Reduce waste, compost, and recycle according to Chewonki’s procedures
Food safety, sanitation, and hygiene
- Comply with State of Maine and American Camp Association standards for foodservice operations
- Provide service and guidance to Camp staff and participants as needed
- Assist in catering special events as needed
- Must be able to lift and carry 55 pounds
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards of the site and facilities and camper and staff behavior
- Physical mobility and endurance to perform tasks while standing/walking for long periods of time (60 minutes or more)
- Must be able to work in hot conditions
- Must be able to use kitchen equipment, including knives, slicers, food processors and mixers, safely
- Commercial kitchen experience preferred, preferably in an institutional setting
- Current ServSafe® or food handler certification is desirable
- Knowledge of food allergies and special dietary requirements desirable
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule
- Must be able to work 40 hours per week including weekends, holidays, early mornings and/or evenings.
- Must be knowledgeable in all aspects of food preparation including from scratch cooking
- Hold current ServSafe certification or be able to become certified.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner with staff and participants.
- A willingness to be part of the Chewonki community.
Salary and Other Details
Compensation based on experience. This position does not include housing.
|Job Category||Seasonal Positions|