The Outdoor Program Coordinator will work as a team of 2-4 to support Outdoor Classroom, Maine Coast Semester, Elementary and Middle School, and Camp Chewonki. During the academic year, the Outdoor Programs supports residential life for Maine Coast Semester School, provides logistic support to the Outdoor Classroom, collaborates on Outdoor Program strategic projects, and facilitates ecology, outdoor skills, and team building activities. The Outdoor Program Coordinator serves as an educator for Outdoor Programs, assists with staff training, and shares support phone duties. In the summer, this position will be assigned a role to support team development curriculum, logistics support, or trip leading.
Position Title: Outdoor Program Coordinator
Employment Category: Category A
Reports to: Director of Outdoor Programs
Schedule (hours and weeks): Full-time, flexible
Benefits Eligible: Yes
- Provide quality training for educators
- Provide strong leadership and serve as a role model for peers
- Facilitate lessons and activities at a high level
- Maintain positive relationships with Chewonki staff and participants
- Promote Chewonki’s outdoor programs in a professional manner
- Ensure continuity in Chewonki’s Elementary Middle School and Maine Coast Semester outdoor skill programming
- Support Maine Coast Semester Students as a cabin parent and through other assigned residential program duties
- Collaborate with the Outdoor Program directors and VP of Schools by communicating regularly and working toward common goals around staff culture and energy
- Design and update Outdoor Program curriculum Maintain (update, inventory, organize, order) instructional materials, equipment, and food supplies
- Assist with staff training and ongoing professional development for Outdoor Educators
- Provide direct field support to educators, including overnight duties
- Mentor Outdoor Educators through scheduled observations, guest teaching, and feedback.
- Share support phone duties with Outdoor Programs administration team
- Provide residential support to staff
- Welcome staff upon arrival
- Facilitate community-building activities during off-program hours
- Respond to staff questions and concerns; act as a resource to staff
- Support Chewonki’s Local School Initiative
- Plan and facilitate educational activities specifically designed for students in grades preK-12 at area schools, as prescribed by the Director of Maine School Programs.
- Support Maine Coast Semester residential life (September-May)
- Mentor and support students as a cabin parent
- Supporting work program and other student based activities
- Be on a rotating weekend and night duty team for the fall 2020 semester
- Support Camp Chewonki (June-August)
- Take a leadership role within team development, logistics support, or trip leading
- Plan and facilitate assigned sections of staff training
Outdoor Educator Essential Responsibilities:
- Occasionally lead or co-lead base camping (encampment), saltwater canoe trips, wilderness trips, and day programs as assigned for both school groups and camp groups.
- Supervise assigned groups of participants in overnight camping or day programs.
- Thoroughly plan, prepare, and pack for each trip/program.
- Develop a fun and positive learning environment
- Maintain a high level of skill in outdoor living and facilitate lessons in orienteering, outdoor cooking, wood processing, personal hygiene, low impact camping, and technical skills.
- Facilitate the follow ecology lessons: pond, estuary, forest, and rocky shore
- Facilitate lessons on Chewonki’s sustainable energy, farm, first people, and land use history
- Serve as a team building facilitator for Chewonki’s challenge course and facilitate group dynamics.
- Handle and teach with Chewonki Wildlife Center animals that are approved for Outdoor Educator use
- Provide for the emotional and physical well being of participants at all times: administer first aid and medications; support students through common challenges such as homesickness and self-care
- Maintain a high level of professionalism in all circumstances. Communicate professionally with chaperones, parents, and family members. Develop rapport and collaborate with chaperone partners.
- Practice and enforce all Chewonki risk management protocols and field protocols.
- Complete all necessary paperwork, i.e. incident reports, participant evaluations, trip reports, co-leader evaluations
- Live on the Chewonki campus and share meals with the community.
- Maintain a leadership role in the greater Chewonki community by participating in chores, committees, and special events.
- Role model professionalism in the workplace and in the greater community
- Understand and describe all Chewonki Programs and interdepartmental connectedness
- Willingness to work towards and obtain Level 2 Challenge Course Facilitation Certification
- Assume other responsibilities as needed.
- Previous Chewonki Outdoor Classroom and Wilderness Trip experience
- A minimum of one season of experience as an Outdoor Educator
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, e.g. environmental education, recreation, ecology
- Current Wilderness First Responder certification
- Ability to lift up to 50 lb
- At least 21 years old to drive participants as required by Chewonki’s insurance carrier
- Pass background check, including driving record
- Strong communication skills (written and spoken)
- Complete Chewonki driver’s training prior to driving participants (classroom and behind-the-wheel)
- Complete Chewonki health center training and orientation annually.
- Obtain a Maine State Trip Leader Permit
- Obtain Red Cross lifeguarding certification
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
This is a residential position with housing and pays an annual salary of $24,000.00. Meals are provided when programs are in session.
Benefits include; health insurance, life insurance, dental insurance, optional vision insurance, long-term disability, 403B retirement plan (currently matching up to 4.5% after one year of service), paid time off and access to professional development funds.
TO APPLY – Review of applicants will begin immediately
Please complete the following information and upload;
- A cover letter explaining your interest in this position
|Job Category||Outdoor Classroom|