Cooks work with and under the guidance of the Kitchen Manager and year round staff to provide safe and smooth operation of the kitchen at Chewonki’s Wiscasset, Maine campus. This includes the preparation of wholesome and appealing meals from scratch while practicing proper food safety techniques in handling, organization and storage, and maintaining the overall cleanliness of the kitchen to a high standard while being mindful of the Chewonki Mission and Food Philosophy.
Position Title: Part-time Cook
Employment Category: Category G
Reports to: Kitchen Manager
Schedule (hours and weeks): up to 20hr/wk, year round
Benefits Eligible: No
Execution of meals
- Produce meals and snacks at scheduled times for programs, staff, and events.
- Produce appealing, healthy, well-balanced, and visually appealing food.
- Maintain kitchen cleanliness throughout shift, properly store leftovers, and clean up after meals.
- Execute in-depth cleaning projects.
- Help keep inventory, wares, and equipment clean and organized.
- Reduce waste, compost, and recycle according to Chewonki’s procedures.
Food safety, sanitation and hygiene
- Comply with State of Maine and ACA standards for food service operations.
- Provide instruction and guidance to Chewonki staff and participants
- Utilize and preserve farm products
- Assist in catering events
- Contribute as an active member of the Chewonki community including participating in staff dish crews
- Participate in the Food Action Committee when in session
- Other tasks as assigned
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule of up to 20 hours per week including weekends, early mornings and/or evenings.
- Must be able to lift and carry 55 pounds.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards of the site, facilities, and participant and staff behavior.
- Physical mobility and endurance to perform tasks while standing/walking for long periods of time, 60 minutes or more.
- Must be able to work in hot conditions.
- Must be able to use knives and other kitchen equipment safely.
- ServSafe® certification desirable.
- Must pass background check yearly in accordance to ACA accreditation.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Compensation based on experience and within the hourly range of $14 – $17/hr.
TO APPLY – Review of applications will begin immediately
Please see our Farm & Food website for more information about the Chewonki Food Philosophy. Please complete the following information.