Cooks are responsible for working with and under the guidance of the Kitchen Manager to provide safe and smooth operation of the kitchen. This includes the preparation of wholesome and appealing meals from scratch while practicing proper food safety techniques in handling, organization, and storage, and maintaining the overall cleanliness of the kitchen to a high standard while being mindful of the Chewonki Mission and Food Philosophy.
Position Title: Cook
Employment Category: Category A
Reports to: Kitchen Manager
Schedule (hours and weeks): Full-time, year-round
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Execution of meals
- Produce meals and snacks at scheduled times for programs, staff, and events.
- Produce healthy, well-balanced, and appealing food from scratch.
- Be willing and prepared to meet special food requirements for both participants and staff.
- Maintain kitchen cleanliness throughout a shift, properly store leftovers, and clean up after meals.
- Execute in-depth cleaning projects.
- Help keep inventory, wares, and equipment clean and organized.
- Reduce waste, compost, and recycle according to Chewonki’s procedures.
Food safety, sanitation, and hygiene
- Comply with State of Maine and American Camp Association (ACA) standards for food service operations.
- Provide instruction and guidance to Chewonki staff and participants
- Utilize and preserve farm products
- Assist in catering events
- Contribute as an active member of the Chewonki community and participate in the Food Action Committee when in session
- Other tasks as assigned
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule of 40 hours per week including weekends, early mornings and/or evenings.
- Must be able to lift and carry 55 pounds.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards of the site, facilities, and participant and staff behavior.
- Physical mobility and endurance to perform tasks while standing/walking for long periods of time, 60 minutes or more.
- Must be able to work in hot conditions.
- Must be able to use knives and other kitchen equipment safely.
- Commercial kitchen experience preferred
- Current ServSafe certification or the ability to become certified
- Current CPR/FA or the ability to become certified
- Must pass background check annually
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Compensation based on experience. Benefits include Paid Time Off, health insurance, dental insurance, optional vision insurance, life insurance and long-term disability insurance, retirement account (403b), and professional development.
TO APPLY – Review of applications will begin immediately, the deadline for submission is December 9, 2018
Please see our Farm & Food website for more information about the Chewonki Food Philosophy. Please complete the following information and upload:
- A cover letter explaining your interest
|Job Category||Administration/Support Positions, Kitchen|