Camp Chewonki is a nature-based overnight camp and expedition-based youth leadership program for boys, girls, and non-binary children. Overnight campers are aged 8-15 and spend 10 days or 3 weeks at camp. The overnight camp program focuses on building cabin community, building skills and knowledge in a core curriculum, and learning about backcountry travel on multi-day remote cabin trips. Participants in our Leadership Expeditions are aged 14-18 and spend 3 weeks or 5 weeks learning leadership skills, remote travel, and a robust sense of self.
The Activity Coordinator is responsible for supporting Activity Heads and their staff to deliver their lessons. The Activity Coordinator is a member of the camp coordinator team and is also responsible for collaborating to plan and coordinate special activities and events like choice and free period offerings, excursion days, and once a session events. The Activity Coordinator serves as a mentor and supervisor to Chewonki’s activity staff, providing support for nearly all aspects of their jobs including the planning, preparation, and implementation of the activity curriculum. The Activity Coordinator is expected to support the growth and development of all activity staff in attaining their personal best as an educator, caretaker, and employee.
Position Title: Activity Coordinator
Employment Category: Category H/Seasonal
Reports to: Camp Director
Benefits Eligible: No
- Uphold the Chewonki Foundation’s mission and values
- Learn and uphold Chewonki Protocols as stated in Camp Chewonki Staff Handbook
- Learn and uphold Wilderness Protocols as set forth by Chewonki
- Participate in Leader of the Day (LoD) rotation to ensure camp schedule runs smoothly
- Ring bells, run mealtime procedure, communicate with health center, among other duties
- Assist program director with tasks related to the planning and preparation of the activity curriculum (e.g. – ordering supplies, preparing activity resources, planning special events)
- Conduct daily check-ins with activity heads and provide support as needed
- Meet with other Coordinator Team members to discuss and address camp concerns
- Hold responsibility for physical, mental and emotional wellbeing of participants; this includes:
- Develop healthy and appropriate relationships with participants
- Assist activity staff with inspection of activity space for hazards and ensure activity heads are enforcing all safety protocols
- Manage risk and maintaining the safety of participants
- Provide direct supervision of participants as assigned
- Be an active member of the Chewonki community; e.g. participate in camp set up and take down
- Practice professional presentation and communication with participants and their families, co-workers, and the public
- Coordinate choice and free period activity scheduling and support activity heads in scheduling teaching coverage
- Conduct observations and provide feedback to activity staff to support staff development
- Work with program director to schedule and facilitate start and end of session events (e.g. – health and swim checks, campus orientation, banquet)
- Collaborate to plan and facilitate special events (e.g. – evening events, weekly events, once a session events)
- Collect and track activity participation and achievement data from Activity Heads
- Facilitate staff mentor/mentee group to support staff development
- Complete all necessary paperwork, i.e. incident reports, camper reports, trip reports
- Instill joy and enthusiasm into the daily life of camp
- Give campus tours when program director is unavailable
DESIRED SKILLS: The blend of these skills helps to determine the positions you are best suited for.
- Risk Management: Activities happen safely when they are conducted in safe learning spaces with the appropriate equipment and supervision. The Activity Coordinator will support Activity Heads in ensuring that their spaces are ready for participants and that they have a plan for teaching, reviewing, and upholding safety expectations each day.
- Interpersonal: The Activity Coordinator must be approachable, inclusive role models for other staff. The Activity Coordinator practices clear and concise communication (written and verbal), and is competent in giving, receiving, and integrating feedback.
- Technical: The Activity Coordinator needs strong planning and organizational skills. Needs to be able to coordinate schedules for multiple people and groups. Digital literacy with Google Suite is required.
- Educational and Leadership: The Activity Coordinator will practice positive leadership and reinforcement with participants and staff. The Activity Coordinator will model a growth mindset and supports continued learning opportunities for staff. The Activity Coordinator supports participants and staff through holistic approach to physical, mental, and emotional needs.
- Experience working in educational spaces, preferred
- Current Wilderness First Aid Certification (Chewonki will offer course prior to camp season)
- Current Lifeguard Certification, preferred
- Digital literacy (Google Suite, etc.)
- Valid driver’s license and driving record approved by Chewonki’s Insurance Carrier
- Must Pass Background Check
- Attend Staff Training per Employment Agreement
- Attend Driver’s Training, as necessary
- Orientation to shared Google Drive for curriculum management
APPROXIMATE 2021 DATES AND SALARY RANGE
Position Start Date: June 12, 2021
Position End Date: August 17, 2021
Starting Salary: $3875, increases based on prior leadership experience
- Incentives: $200 Lifeguard Certification, $200 Wilderness First Responder Certification
If you have the skills and temperament required to take on this responsibility, we’d love to speak with you, answer your questions, and help you learn more about a summer at Chewonki. Please follow the below link to apply for a activity coordinator position at Camp Chewonki.
|Job Category||Camp Chewonki, Seasonal Positions|