Teachings in Mindful Education
Professional Development for Wellness and Renewal
About TIME in Maine:
Teachings in Mindful Education (TIME in Maine) is a four-day, three-night immersion in mindfulness skills, enhanced self-awareness and development of collegial support as pathways to a more balanced and sustainable commitment to working in education. Within a restorative natural setting in midcoast Maine, a group of educators will explore the benefits of self-care as a critical factor in maintaining the energy to impact those we serve. Designed for educators at every level of service from classroom teaching to administration and higher education, this initiative will cultivate valuable collegial relationships and provide time to reflect on and begin to shift the nature of work culture in schools to one that values wellness and renewal.
We invite leaders and educators who are currently integrating mindfulness or other wellness initiatives into their schools, those seeking ways to apply their own personal mindfulness practice to teaching, and anyone simply wishing to prioritize self-care in response to the demands of being an educator. We highly recommend participation of two or more colleagues from your school in order to deepen the dialogue and enhance the application of a culture of wellness to your own particular institution.
Participants will enjoy three nights and four days on Chewonki’s beautiful 400-acre shorefront campus, with waterfront, forest, field, farm and miles of trails. Chewonki offers simplicity and comfort in its lodging, with rustic, dormitory-style cabins designed to support your experience without the disruption of televisions or telephones. These accommodations provide an opportunity to get to know people and strengthen the community experience. Each single-sex cabin allows for 4-6 guests and offers simple beds and nearby bathrooms. Each bed has sheets and shelves for your belongings. Guests bring pillows and bedding or a sleeping bag.
Enjoy the bounty of the late-summer harvest with fresh food made from scratch in Chewonki’s contemporary kitchen. Whole grains, fresh vegetables, legumes, natural meat and dairy products are all part of the repertoire. Mealtime is a special experience at Chewonki, and the food is prepared by people who care deeply about the planet and our bodies. Food allergies are happily accommodated with advance notice.
TIME will create opportunities for:
- Rich experiential immersion in mindfulness practices
- Reflection in a restorative, natural setting
- Strong collegial relationships as the foundation for positive school culture
- Exploration of what matters most in our work as educators
- Tools for integrating mindfulness in your work and teaching
- Enjoyment of the natural world in a stunning coastal setting
- Katie Byrnes PhD: Board President of the Mindfulness in Education Network
- Bernie Hershberger PhD: Director of Counseling and Wellness Program, Bowdoin College
- Sarah Macdonald MA: Middle and Upper School Advisor and English Teacher, Waynflete School
- Lydia Maier LCSW MBA: Dean of Student Affairs, Waynflete School
- Carol Wishcamper: Organizational Development Consultant to schools and non-profit organizations
FMI and future workshop dates: