Join the High 5 Adventure Learning Center team for these workshops at Chewonki:
Adventure Basics: Level 1 Training – May 30 – June 3
Level 1 Challenge Course Certification Testing – June 4, 2018
Adventure Basics: Level 1 Training At Chewonki
Our 5-day Adventure Basics training (5/30/2018 – 6/3/2018) is your gateway to adventure education and challenge course programming skills. Participants will learn both the basic technical skills of operating a challenge course as well as the facilitation skills essential to sequencing a program to maximize outcomes with participants. Adventure Basics provides an important first step for both understanding the flow and interplay of a group experience and for learning the skills to run an effective challenge course program.
This workshop will help you prepare and review for the Level 1 Challenge Course Practitioner Certification test. (Testing is optional: you must register for the test separately.)
This course is held at Chewonki Foundation in Wiscasset, Maine.
This Workshop Will Include:
- Essential challenge course skills for the operation of low and high challenge course elements including spotting skills training, equipment use, knot tying, belay skills and risk management techniques
- A wide variety of icebreakers, warm-ups, cooperative games, and problem solving exercises
- How to create a positive environment for learning, positive group norms and reflection/processing techniques
- Curriculum development ideas: selecting and sequencing activities for optimal outcomes with different groups
- Skill Level: All Skill Levels
- Course Length: 5 days (45 hrs)
- Graduate Credit: 3 (additional fee)
- CEU: Available (additional fee)
Level 1 Challenge Course Certification Testing At Chewonki
Level 1 Challenge Course Practitioner Certification testing on June 4, 2018 is appropriate for practitioners who facilitate adventure activities including lead-up games and initiatives, and low and high challenge course elements. Participants considering Level 1 Practitioner Certification will have taken a minimum of 50 hours of training. We recommend High 5 Adventure Basics five day workshop and one other skills based workshop of 1 to 2 days in length. Qualifications for testing and necessary forms are listed here: Certification. Testing includes a written and practical test. The written test must be passed with a score of at least 80%. Participants must show mastery of all practical skills. Testing at this level takes place over a one day period and must be renewed annually.
- Course Length: 1 day
- Chewonki Foundation, Wiscasset Maine