Summer Cooks are responsible for working with and under the guidance of the Kitchen Manager to provide safe and smooth operation of the kitchen at Chewonki’s Wiscasset, Maine campus. This includes the preparation of wholesome and appealing meals from scratch while practicing proper food safety techniques in handling, organization and storage, and maintaining the overall cleanliness of the kitchen to a high standard while being mindful of the Chewonki mission and Chewonki’s Food Philosophy. Summer Cooks must also be able to follow and execute an assigned menu plan.
Execution of meals
- Produce meals and snacks at scheduled times for programs, staff, and events.
- Produce tasty, healthy, well-balanced, and visually appealing food.
- Maintain kitchen cleanliness throughout shift, properly store leftovers, and clean up after the meal.
- Help keep inventory, wares, and equipment clean and organized.
- During down time, execute in-depth cleaning projects.
- Reduce waste, compost, and recycle according to Chewonki’s procedures.
Food safety, sanitation, and hygiene
- Comply with State of Maine and ACA standards for food service operations.
- Coordinate job tasks with the other cooks, and supervise and direct kitchen assistants.
- Provide instruction and guidance to Boys Camp staff and participants as needed.
- Assist with dishwasher supervision.
- Utilize and put up farm products.
- Assist in catering special events as needed.
- Contribute as an active member of the Chewonki community.
- Must be able to lift and carry 55 pounds.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards of the site and facilities and camper and staff behavior.
- Physical mobility and endurance to perform tasks while standing/walking for long periods of time (60 minutes or more).
- Must be able to work in hot conditions.
- Must be able to use kitchen equipment, including knives, slicers, food processors and mixers, safely.
- Commercial kitchen experience preferred, preferably in an institutional setting.
- ServSafe® certification is desirable.
- Must be able to work 40 hours per week including weekends, holidays, early mornings and/or evenings.
- Must be knowledgeable in all aspects of food preparation including from scratch cooking
- Hold current ServSafe certification or be able to become certified.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner with staff and participants.
- A willingness to be part of the Chewonki community.
Salary and Other Details
Compensation based on experience.